Saturday, April 7, 2012

My Babysitter's a Vampire Writer Ben Joseph on "Friday Night Frights"

My Babysitter's a Vampire first season writer Ben Joseph (episode: "Friday Night Frights") talks to TV, eh? about the episode "Friday Night Frights" which is nominated for a Writer's Guild of Canada Award in the Children and Youth category, with other MBAV episodes; "Blood Drive" (written by Ken Cuperus) and "Re-Vamped" (written by Alice Prodanou).

Apparently there was some mixed feelings of his writing amongst the MBAV's PTB (Powers That Be).

Ben Joseph: I was hired as a story editor on the show when it first got started. I wrote the first episode that got approved. I wrote a first draft … and then they fired me. Sure I was peeved but things happen — they just wanted to go in a different direction. Or so I thought. They never really gave me a good reason. Then 8 months later when I saw the actual episode, it was pretty much exactly the way I wrote the first draft. So that made me angry. So getting a nomination for a first draft that got me fired is kind of a nice karmic middle finger. That being said I wish the show well because I know most of the writers and they are quality people and all talented.

TV, eh?: Can you describe the episode, and how it fit into the season?

Ben Joseph: My episode revolves a ghost gym teacher who returns to the school and wants to finally win a trophy. He wants Ethan (the star of the show) to win it in wrestling – or this ghost coach will haunt him forever!

Click here to read more: http://www.tv-eh.com/2012/04/02/wgc-award-nominee-ben-joseph-on-my-babysitters-a-vampires-friday-night-frights/

Well me personally, I thought "Friday Night Frights" was one of the weaker episodes of the first season (I'm guessing Joseph was over those as story editor too, not gonna name them... (cough) "Blue Moon" (cough).). It had it's comedic moments don't get me wrong but it's something about the storyline's direction that didn't sit right with me [either].

Teletoon (Canada), My Babysitter's a Vampire just wrapped up the first season and now MBAV fans around the globe are playing "the waiting game"; all [im]patiently awaiting for word on the second season's premiere.

No comments: